Job Location: NCERT, Delhi
Duration: July, 2017 to June, 2018
One of India’s biggest challenges is to provide quality education to its 260 million children. The scale and complexity of education in India demands that the brightest talent engage in finding solutions.
At Central Square Foundation, we seek to achieve transformational standards of educational excellence for children in disadvantaged communities in India. We support exceptional social entrepreneurs with powerful ideas, undertake policy-relevant research, provide a platform for sharing of innovations, and collaborate with the government to find policy solutions – all towards creating sustainable change in India’s educational system.
CSF’s team members combine a deep commitment to education with operational excellence. We are a young organisation with a dynamic entrepreneurial environment, dedicated to achieving significant and sustained reforms in the Indian education system.
The focus of the Indian education system has been shifting from providing access to schools to ensuring acquisition of basic learning outcomes. In such a scenario, the role of large scale assessments (LSA) in improving learning outcomes becomes vital. Data from such surveys can be used to (a) drive system accountability, (b) provide targeted feedback to students and teachers and (c) inform policy interventions such as teacher training, curriculum and textbook design.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has identified LSA as a critical lever of its school education reform agenda and has decided to conduct a district level sample survey – National Achievement Survey (NAS) – for all subjects across classes 3, 5 and 8 on an annual basis. The assessment – the largest sample based learning achievement survey in the world – will test over 34 lakh students studying in government and government aided schools across 707 districts in the country.
The Education Survey Division (ESD), National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT) is the nodal agency responsible for design, analysis and reporting of NAS. A steering committee will be setup to provide strategic and technical advice to ESD. An external partner will support ESD on technical aspects of the survey – question development, sampling, data analysis and undertake activities to build the technical capacity of ESD.
Given the scale and importance of the exercise, a full-time 2-member programme management unit (PMU) is being setup at ESD. The PMU will be responsible for ensuring (a) effective roll-out of the survey, (b) dissemination of survey findings and (c) follow-up policy actions from survey findings.
CSF seeks to hire 2-full time staff – project manager and senior project manager – to lead the PMU. The team will report directly to the steering committee and is expected to work closely with the technical partner and senior leadership at MHRD, NCERT and State Education Departments.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Establish/ manage relationships with stakeholders to strengthen program implementation
- Liaison with steering committee, technical partner, MHRD, NCERT for survey roll-out
- Develop project plan for all the activities with associated responsibilities and timelines
- Create dashboard to track key survey activities of ESD and states
- Identify bottlenecks in survey roll-out, proactively work with states/ ESD to resolve them
- Share fortnightly project updates with steering committee and flag key issues/ decisions
- Support ESD and technical partner for smooth conduct of all survey activities, including
- Training of NAS coordinators at the state and district level
- Printing and dispatch of survey material
- Entry of assessment data
- Development of state and district analytics reports
- Dissemination of reports to key stakeholders through workshops
- Interface with technical partner, ESD to ensure capacity building, knowledge transfer
Required Qualifications, Experience, Skills:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required, Masters degree preferred
- Senior Project Manager: 5 + years of work experience (with managerial responsibilities)
- Prior experience of working with government departments (desirable)
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Willingness to multi-task and be flexible and adaptive to changing priorities
- Ability to build & manage relationships with government teams
- Fluency or professional proficiency in English and Hindi
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and will depend upon the candidate’s experience levels and the value he/she will be able to add to the project.
Interested candidates should submit their resume via email with subject line ‘Application for Project Manager, National Achievement Survey’ to email@example.com.