India has over 10 million teachers and teacher educators who require continuous professional development to be effective in classrooms and schools. Despite multiple training initiatives, there is significant work to be done to improve the quality of teachers. This can be attributed to a several systemic challenges. Training sessions are often irrelevant as they do not address the individual needs of teachers. The cascade model of training adopted by state governments leads to massive dilution of knowledge. There are also logistical challenges as training happens only on fixed days in fixed locations.
On the other hand, there are many signs to show that teachers are increasingly becoming more technologically savvy. There have been various instances of organic adoption of technology, with teachers building their own web portals and content, which has spread through word-of-mouth. Some of these portals have become very popular, hosting thousands of registered users, indicating a growing demand for technology-based teacher training.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) proposes to build a National Teachers Platform (NTP) that will enable, accelerate and amplify many solutions in the realm of teacher education – including all teacher training and support needs. The NTP will be a state-of-the-art platform built using Open Standards and APIs and will host some exemplar Open Educational Resources (OER). MHRD envisions that state governments and individual institutions repurpose, extend, customise and contextualise the NTP to build their own State Teacher Platforms.
In order to realise MHRD’s ambitious vision, Central Square Foundation (CSF) is working closely with the MHRD as a strategic thought partner and is helping to set up a Project Management Unit (PMU) that will oversee the design and implementation of the project. The members of this PMU will work with NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education), MHRD and will liaise closely with both the CSF team and the representatives from the various nodal departments in MHRD.
Open Position Available: 1
Job Location: New Delhi
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build and manage relationships with technology partner(s) to develop the National Teachers Platform
- Liaise with the Government and external content partners to curate and create content for the portal
- Work with states, teachers and steering committee to determine teacher needs and define features of NTP accordingly
- Launch minimum viable product (MVP) by July, and iterate further based on user feedback to improve NTP
- Conduct user testing, and obtain feedback on product features and content
- Manage technology and content teams and set up processes for them to effectively achieve project goals
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required, Masters degree preferred
- 5-6 years of work experience with managerial responsibilities
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Ability to build & manage relationships with government teams
- Prior Product management experience preferred
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and will depend upon the candidate’s experience levels.
Interested candidates should submit their resume via email with subject line ‘Application for Associate Director- Product , National Teacher Platform, NCTE’ to email@example.com