Position: Research Director
One of India’s biggest challenges is providing quality education to its 240 million children. The scale and complexity of education in India demands that the brightest talent engage in finding solutions.
At Central Square Foundation, we seek to achieve transformational standards of educational excellence for children in disadvantaged communities in India. We support exceptional social entrepreneurs with powerful ideas, undertake application-oriented research, provide a platform for sharing of innovation, and collaborate with other stakeholders in the ecosystem to find policy solutions – all towards enabling sustained change in India’s educational system.
CSF’s team members combine a deep commitment to education with operational excellence. We are a young organization with a dynamic entrepreneurial environment, dedicated to achieving significant and sustained reforms in the Indian education system.
The Research Director will serve on CSF’s leadership team and will provide guidance and thought leadership on relevant research engagements for CSF’s portfolio of work. This role directly reports to the Managing Director.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Owning and guiding Monitoring and Evaluation activities at CSF, and working with the senior leadership team to distill learning from such activities
- Working with CSF’s issue teams to conceptualize the research agenda and develop key research proposals
- Providing guidance around research design, methodology, and instrument development
- Identifying / building relationships with key research and M&E partners/ vendors, and working closely with them to manage CSF’s research projects
- Ensuring timely implementation of research projects with a strong focus on execution and quality assurance – including data validity checks, analysis / interpretation and editorial support
- Productizing existing knowledge by drafting research summaries, policy briefs, recommendations, vision documents for external stakeholders
- Conducting literature review around CSF’s issue areas, synthesizing key trends and working with teams to identify new hypotheses and research questions
- Connecting with the wider research ecosystem, including academics, institutions, think tanks
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced degree, PhD preferred, with appropriate level of experience
- 15+ years of work experience with team management responsibilities, demonstrating superb project delivery and leadership
- Experience in growing and managing team members
- Excellent research skills and the ability to analyze complex qualitative and quantitative data, craft possible solutions, and recommend actions. The candidate should have produced high-quality research outputs for publication in monographs or recognized high-quality journals
- Ability to work individually on own initiative and without close supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability to commission and monitor research and exercise a degree of innovation and creative problem-solving
- Excellent IT skills especially relevant to quantitative and qualitative research programs
- Strong planning, organizational and administrative skills, and an ability to be able to set priorities, plan timelines and meet deadlines
- Excellent presentation skills, with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with policy makers and external audiences
- Ability to conduct fieldwork independently (participant observation, conduct interviews, survey)
- Fieldwork experience (interviews, and/or survey, and/or participant observation) in Asia
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ‘can-do’ attitude
- Operating style suited to working in a small-organization setting, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Excellent leadership skills, including ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Familiarity with research and literature on improving K-12 education outcomes in developing countries
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and will depend upon the candidate’s experience levels.
Interested candidates can click on the Application Form and fill the required details in the form.