Tamil Nadu has over 5 lakh teachers and teacher educators who require continuous professional development to be effective in classrooms and schools. Despite multiple training initiatives, there is significant work to be done to improve the quality of teachers. This can be attributed to a several systemic challenges. Training sessions are often irrelevant as they do not address the individual needs of teachers. The cascade model of training leads to massive dilution of knowledge. There are also logistical challenges as training happens only on fixed days in fixed locations.
On the other hand, there are many signs to show that teachers are increasingly becoming more technologically savvy. There have been various instances of organic adoption of technology, with teachers building their own web portals and content, which has spread through word-of-mouth. SCERT has also catalyzed the creation of digital content for teachers by teachers, and has its own YouTube channel with hundreds of curated videos. All these activities indicate that there is massive potential for statewide technology-based teacher training.
In this context, of Human Resource Development (MHRD) proposes to build a National Teachers Platform (NTP) that will enable, accelerate and amplify many solutions in the realm of teacher education – including all teacher training and support needs. The NTP will be a state-of-the-art platform built using Open Standards and APIs and will host some exemplar Open Educational Resources (OER). MHRD envisions that state governments and individual institutions repurpose, extend, customise and contextualise the NTP to build their own State Teacher Platforms.
In order to realise Tamil Nadu’s vision of being the first state to build its own State Teacher Platform based on NTP, Central Square Foundation (CSF) is working closely with MHRD and the Government of Tamil Nadu as a strategic thought partner. CSF is helping to set up a Project Management Unit (PMU) that will oversee the design and implementation of the project in Tamil Nadu. The members of this PMU will work with NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education), Government of Tamil Nadu, MHRD and will liaise closely with both the CSF team and the representatives from various departments of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
Open Position Available: 1
Job Location: Chennai
As the Project Manager of the Tamil Nadu State Teacher Platform, your key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Liaise with SCERT, SSA and other relevant state departments to construct and execute project plans which enable timely development and rollout of the Tamil Nadu State Teacher Platform (TNSTP) in coordination with National PMU
- Enable and drive TNSTP software development and manage its implementation in Tamil Nadu
- Coordinate with various Government and external partners to drive the content vision of TNSTP
- Create tools and processes to ensure that high-quality content is created and curated efficiently on TNSTP by teachers and teacher educators
- Conduct regular user testing to ensure that TNSTP platform has the right features and content for teacher professional development
- Create outreach, distribution and branding strategies to ensure adoption of TNSTP by all teachers and teacher educators
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 2-4 years of work experience with managerial responsibilities
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Ability to build & manage relationships with government teams
- Proficiency in Tamil and English
Interested candidates should submit their resume via email with subject line ‘ Application for Project Manager- Tamil Nadu State Teacher Platform ‘ to firstname.lastname@example.org