Position: Programme Manager, Governance, Central Square Foundation
Location: New Delhi, India
One of India’s biggest challenges is providing quality education to its 240 million children. The scale and complexity of education in India demands that the brightest talent engage in finding solutions.
At Central Square Foundation (CSF), we seek to achieve transformational standards of educational excellence for children from disadvantaged communities in India. We support exceptional social entrepreneurs with powerful ideas, provide a platform for the sharing of innovation, and find policy solutions to enable sustained change.
CSF’s team members combine a deep commitment to education with operational excellence. We are a young organisation with a dynamic entrepreneurial environment dedicated to achieving landmark reform in the Indian education system.
One of the core areas of CSF’s work is Governance. The focus of the governance team is to institutionalise key levers and enabling conditions that equips the education system to improve student learning outcomes. The scope of the governance team extends to both the public and private school education space.
The ‘Programme Manager, Governance’ is expected to use CSF’s tools of grant making, government engagement, research and ecosystem to develop a nuanced perspective of key gaps and hypothesis in each of the focus areas, identify and scale solutions that address these gaps. Some of the key focus areas that we work on include:
Our work on student assessments focuses on supporting governments, schools and teachers conduct high-quality assessments that supports student learning and enable decision making at the policy and classroom level. We work on multiple layers of student assessments including formative assessments, high-stake assessments and large scale assessments. Examples of our initiatives in our area include:
- Centre for Science of Student Learning CSSL is a organisation with a mission to improve the way our children learn by building capacity to measure learning through high quality assessments and conducting research into the science of student learning. Over the last 2 years, CSF has been supporting CSSL build high-end assessments capacity in state governments.
- Programme management support for National Achievement Survey CSF is supporting MHRD and NCERT in the roll-out of the current cycle of the district-level National Achievement Survey (NAS). In consultation with MHRD, a Programme Management Unit (PMU) has been set up at NCERT to strengthen the overall management and coordination of the process. In addition to providing management support, we are also building the web-application for NAS which would capture the survey data from States/UTs and generate automatic report cards with key insights for the stakeholders.
Accountability & Performance Management
Our work on performance management focuses on establishing accountability structures and incentive mechanisms for administrators, schools and teachers that enable improvements in student learning outcomes. Our key initiatives in the area include:
- School Education Quality Index & Performance Based Funding CSF supported NITI Aayog and MHRD in the design and development of SEQI, an annual index that benchmarks the quality of state education systems against four areas of learning, access, equity and governance.
- Saajha is a not-for-profit based out of Delhi and works with public primary schools to enhance parental and community engagement.
Private School Systems
We work with the MHRD and state governments on various aspects of private school regulation, including but not limited to ease of establishment, operational autonomy and monitoring systems. The key principles we believe in are public accountability and transparency. Some of the initiatives we have run in this space are:
- Private Schools Fee Regulation Act CSF worked with the Directorate of Education, Government of Delhi to design and draft a bill for regulation of private school fees in the state. We are also working with FICCI’s School Education Committee to advocate a Model Private Schools Act that deals with regulation holistically.
- Choose My School CSF is supporting the Department of Education, Government of Karnataka with building an online private schools portal that enables parents to make more informed school choices.
- School Vouchers & Section 12 (1) (c) CSF has supported the implementation of Section 12(1)(c) of the Right to Education Act which mandates that unaided, private, non-minority schools reserve 25% of the seats in their entry level classes for economically weaker sections of disadvantaged groups in society. Through our grants, we have been supporting research , programme delivery and efficient implementation.
Efficient School Networks
Creating a network of schools that provides students access to well resourced, high-quality elementary and secondary education. The initiatives we run in this space include:
- School Consolidation CSF has been providing states with data and strategy support to identify and resource a network of high-potential K-12 schools that can cater to a large majority of the student population.
- Teacher Rationalisation CSF has been providing states with data analytics support to identify inefficiencies in current deployment of teachers, and redeploy teachers to ensure more equitable and efficient allocation across schools.
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop hypotheses based on key trends and landscape in the focus areas
- Provide continuous strategic support to the existing portfolio to grow/ be more impactful
- Expand portfolio by incubating and funding organisations working on innovative solutions
- Conceptualise and implement targeted research to drive key hypothesis
- Build partnerships and support the government in the vision and implementation of initiatives through project management, research and policy support
- Build partnerships with organisations with expertise in building solutions in the focus areas
- Promote knowledge sharing amongst leading organisations in the focus areas
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- Graduate or Post Graduate degree from a reputed institute
- 2+ years of work experience with managerial responsibilities
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Ability to build & manage relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Willingness to travel
- A belief that all children, regardless of their background can perform at the highest level
- Persistence, determination, and strong work ethic
- High level of integrity
- Self-driven and ability to work independently
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving ability and prioritisation skills
- Thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrate initiative
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and will be commensurate to candidate’s experience levels.
Interested candidates should submit a resume via https://goo.gl/forms/rzi9sdjqzUWAJ3d13